Jacob Wheeler dives into the art of jig fishing for bass, quite possibly the best all-around lure category nationwide. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced angler, Wheeler’s insights will help you catch more bass. Increase your catch rate through his preferred jig, plastic trailer pairings, and color combinations. Additionally, he discusses how to work the jig through different grass types and his go-to rod and line setup.
TACKLE USED (retail links)
- TRAILER – Rapala CrushCity Cleanup Craw: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- Check out Full Rapala CrushCity Lineup: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- JIG (custom) – Check out Bass Jigs at Bass Pro Shops, Check out Bass Jigs at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – Duckett J. Wheeler Series Casting Rod, 7′ Medium-Heavy: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- REEL – Duckett Jacob Wheeler JWC 100 Casting Reel, 7.5:1: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LINE (braided mainline) – Sufix 131 Braid: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LINE (fluorocarbon leader) – Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 17-pound: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- HAT – Check at at Rapala
THE POWER OF JIG COLOR COMBINATIONS
Wheeler emphasizes the importance of color selection, especially in off-color waters. He suggests a classic black and blue jig paired with a green pumpkin crawl trailer, a combination that consistently delivers results. Learn how this contrasting color scheme enhances visibility and triggers bass in waters with one to two feet of clarity.
FISHING TECHNIQUES AND STRATEGIES
Focusing on grassy edges, Wheeler shares his technique for ensuring a vertical jig fall, a critical aspect when fishing vertical cover like grass. He explains how to quickly identify productive zones, focusing on irregular features like thick grass patches, hard spots, and sparse areas. Wheeler’s approach is about efficiency – getting the bait into the strike zone fast and keeping it there longer.
SPOTTING AND TARGETING BASS
Wheeler uses his expertise to identify key fishing areas, including grass edges and timber lines. He explains how bass relate to key structures and cover while sharing tips on using electronics to find the perfect fishing spots. Learn to differentiate between deeper, roaming bass and those actively feeding in shallower areas.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT JIG TRAILER
Selecting the right trailer is crucial. Wheeler prefers a trailer with consistent action and slow speed, ensuring natural movement in the water. Discover why a trailer with thin side appendages can be a game-changer, offering subtle, enticing movements that trigger bites from experienced bass.
ADVANCED ROD AND LINE SETUPS FOR JIG FISHING
Wheeler discusses the advantages of using a braid-to-fluorocarbon setup for jig fishing. He advises adjusting your hook set technique and selecting the right rod to complement the minimal stretch of this line combination. Get insights into his personal preferences for line weight and rod action.