The conversation gets colorful when Gerald “GMAN” Swindle talks about line color! Join Swindle as he discusses strategic aspects of how to choose fishing line colors based on various techniques and situations. This informative video provides a comprehensive look at how different line materials and colors can significantly impact your fishing approach, focusing on visibility, stealth, and bite detection.
LINE LISTING (retail links)
- SPINNING BRAID (hi-vis) – Sunline SX1 Braided Line Hi-Vis Yellow Line: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SPINNING LEADER (fluoro) – Sunline FC Fluorocarbon Leader Clear: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CASTING BRAID (low-vis) – Sunline Siglon PE AMZ Braided Line Dark Green: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CASTING FLUOROCARBON (buzzbait) – Sunline Shooter Fluorocarbon: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CHECK OUT ALL SUNLINE OFFERINGS – Buy at Tackle Warehouse, Check out at Sunline
- Check out the Sunline Knot Guide for details on making your perfect connection.
*Additional rod and clothing links below.
EXPLORING THE SPECTRUM OF LINE COLORS
Swindle takes viewers through a handful of typical fishing setups, both spinning and casting. He highlights various line colors, including high-visibility chartreuse, moss green braid, and the versatile clear-colored fluorocarbon. Each color serves a unique purpose – from enhancing angler visibility to camouflaging underwater. Learn why expert anglers like Swindle carefully choose their line colors to gain an advantage in different fishing scenarios.
HIGH-VIS LINES FOR ENHANCED TRACKING
Swindle opts for high-visibility lines for spinning reels, often pairing them to a fluorocarbon leader with the Modified Albright Knot. This combination allows for better line tracking while maintaining a low-visibility end section near the fish. Swindle dispels myths about fluorocarbon’s invisibility. While less visible than monofilament or braided line, it’s still visible. In clear water environments, a smaller diameter fluorocarbon can further reduce visibility.
ROD SETUPS (retail links)
- SPINNING REEL – 13 Fishing Ascent Competition G-Man Spinning Reel: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SPINNING ROD – 13 Fishing Meta Spinning Rod: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CASTING REEL – 13 Fishing Inception G2 Casting Reels: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CASTING ROD – 13 Fishing META Casting Rods: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
MOSS GREEN BRAID FOR CASTING CAMOUFLAGE
For techniques like jig swimming, Swindle prefers moss green braid to blend the line into the water, reducing its visibility to fish. He addresses the common visibility of braided lines and their inevitable color fade, suggesting a marker touch-up for improved concealment. Here’s a list of the best braided fishing lines to help you choose the right braid.
CHOOSING FLUOROCARBON FOR STEALTH AND FEEL
For situations that demand stealth and sensitivity, Swindle leans towards fluorocarbon. This line type offers lower stretch and reduced visibility than most monofilaments, making it ideal for techniques such as buzz bait fishing and jigging. He explains the role of light refraction in line visibility, advocating for fluorocarbon when fish seem line-shy, a typical scenario in clear water and pressured fisheries.
ALWAYS EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT LINES
The bottom line: there’s no single best fishing line for all situations. Swindle encourages anglers to experiment with different line strengths and colors while reflecting on a recent experience at Lake St. Clair. He highlights the importance of assessing bite rates across various line thicknesses and colors to gauge whether fish are line-shy.
Swindle’s advice equips anglers with a deeper understanding of how line color choice can improve your bass fishing success. By selecting the appropriate line color and type, anglers can adjust their overall presentation to the situation and improve catch rates.
- BIBS – AFTCO Barricade Elite Rain Bib: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SHIRT – AFTCO Samurai Hooded Long Sleeve Shirt: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- HAT – GMAN Original Positive Mental Attitude: Check out at the GMAN Store
- Check out all AFTCO Apparel at AFTCO