Pro bass angler Matt Herren is quick to admit that he’s not a fan of all the new technology in fishing. But love it or hate it, he’s also frank about the need to embrace fish finder and boat control tech to remain competitive as a tournament angler. In this broad modern fish finder technology video, Herren discusses several key technologies that have changed how we fish, which equates to finding fish faster and staying on them more efficiently than ever.
THE TECH-DRIVEN AGE OF FISHING
Herren starts by detailing the paradigm shift in fishing methods. While referencing his experiences, he emphasizes modern technology’s incredible advantage over long-standing technology such as 2D sonar and manual boat control. Think of forward-facing sonar and GPS-controlled trolling motors that digitally anchor your boat.
THE POWER OF FISH FINDERS IN ACTION
Delving deeper, Herren showcases the power of Side Imaging and Down Imaging. Once akin to fiction, these tools have become the angler’s underwater eyes, enabling a clear view that drastically reduces the time to locate prime fishing spots when used with accurate cartography (mapping).
MAPPING IN ACTION
The nuanced tools of topography and, in this case, LakeMaster mapping are brought to the forefront. Herren describes their transformative effect, illuminating how features like old channel swings and hydrilla locations directly correlate with bass positions on this particular day on Texas’s famed Sam Rayburn Reservoir.
FROM OBSERVATION TO IMMEDIATE DIGITAL FEEDBACK
Herren candidly recounts his evolution as an angler. Transitioning from relying purely on visual cues, instinct, and time on the water experience to find, catch, and pattern bass. Now, we receive immediate digital feedback from fish finders, with Herren illustrating the sweeping technological change in the sport.
PRACTICAL INSIGHTS FOR THE MODERN ANGLER
Herren continues beyond introducing the technology. He delves into actionable tips — from setting up fish finders to understanding the bottom terrain around your boat and tracking fish and your bait in real-time. Regardless of where you stand, one’s success in fishing can elevate exponentially with minimal time on the water.
While not a guide on how to read fish finders, Herren plunges into the depths of the technological revolution in fishing. From basic observational techniques to today’s precise digital feedback systems, Herren emphasizes his need, as a touring bass pro, to embrace the modern age to remain competitive.
ELECTRONICS & BOAT SETUP
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex QUEST: Check out at Minn Kota
- FISH FINDERS (console) – Humminbird SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G3 Fish Finder/GPS Chartplotter: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- FISH FINDERS (bow) – Humminbird APEX 13 MEGA SI+ Fishfinder/Chartplotter: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- 360 SONAR – Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- LIVE SONAR – Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Transducer: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- MAPPING – Humminbird LakeMaster Premium VX Digital Map Chart Card (Great Lakes): Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Humminbird
- SHALLOW WATER ANCHORS – Minn Kota Raptor, 8′: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- BASS BOAT – Skeeter FXR 20: Check out at Skeeter