Fall smallmouth bass are a sucker for a wide range of lures, so it’s a smart strategy to experiment with different baits to hone in on what’s most effective. Ryan DeChaine and Dan “Duffner” Quinn attack a productive spot armed with a drop shot and spoon and detail how to fish each to trigger bass in cold water. *See product links at the bottom.
Quinn shares his go-to smallmouth bass setup featuring a unique hook and hooking style as well as his confidence bait while DeChaine takes a more aggressive approach with a heavy spoon. Both prove productive on this day with the spoon edging out the more common drop shot.
Fish location can be specific this time of year, so Quinn breaks down areas to look for on mapping and sonar. Both discuss their rod, reel and line setups to fish these productive tactics.
RYAN’S TACKLE SETUP:
- Luhr Jensen Crippled Herring Spoon, 3/4-ounce
- Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 12lb
- 13 Fishing Muse Black Casting Rod, 6’7″ Medium
- 13 Fishing Concept “C” Casting Reel, 8.1:1:
DAN’S TACKLE SETUP
- VMC Finesse Neko Hook, 1/0
- Z-Man StreakZ, 5″
- VMC Ike Tungsten Cylinder Drop Shot Weight, 1/2-ounce
- 13 Fishing Envy Black 2 Spinning Rod, 7’2″ Med Hvy
- 13 Fishing Prototype X Spinning Reel, PX 3.0
- Sufix 832 Braided Line Neon Lime, 8lb:
- Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 8lb (Leader Material)
ELECTRONICS & BOAT CONTROL:
- Humminbird SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2
- Humminbird SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2
- Humminbird SOLIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2
- Humminbird 360 Imaging
- Minn Kota Ultrex Trolling Motor