The product recommendations on our site are independently chosen by our editors. When you click through our links, we may earn a commission. Thanks for helping us do what we love.

Dispute Over Tangled Lines Leads to Attempted Murder Charges

Disputes are not uncommon when it comes to shared public waters and one recent dispute in Vermont nearly resulted in the death of an acquaintance over tangled lines. The scuffle led to attempted murder charges for one man.

On Monday evening, Oct. 9, 2023,  in Newport, Vermont, police said Caleb Maniscalchi, 21 years of age, was fishing the Clyde River in Newport, Vermont. At some point, Mansicalchi and another unnamed victim got into an altercation when their two fishing lines got crossed and tangled. Mansicalch allegedly picked up a rock and struck the other angler in the head and then proceeded to push his head underwater in an alleged attempt to drown him over the altercation. Thankfully bystanders intervened in the ruckus. Police did say, however, that it was Maniscalchi who called 911 before fleeing the scene. He was later apprehended and arrested on Interstate 91.

Here is the full arrest report from the Newport Police Department: 

Chief Travis Bingham reports that the Newport Police Department arrested a man on several charges, including Attempted Murder, after he allegedly assaulted a man along the Clyde River.

CALEB MANISCALCHI, AGE 21, of MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE was arrested and charged with:

  • Attempted Murder – Second Degree
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Disorderly Conduct

On Monday, Oct. 9, at 5:16 p.m., Newport Police were dispatched to the Clyde River near Hill Street for a report of a person being harassed while fishing.

Upon arrival, officers located a male who was soaking wet and had suffered visible head wounds. Through an on-scene investigation, officers determined that the victim and MANISCALCHI had engaged in a verbal argument related to their respective fishing lines becoming tangled.

As part of their investigation, officers learned that MANSICALCHI allegedly struck the victim in the head multiple times with a rock and subsequently held the victim’s head underwater until bystanders intervened. Officers determined that MANISCALCHI fled the scene and had called 911 himself to report the incident but did not remain present to speak with officers. Officers also learned that MANSICALCHI was from New Hampshire and that he, the victim and a witness were known to one another.

Approximately an hour later, Newport Police observed a vehicle bearing a New Hampshire registration near the location of the incident which they subsequently identified as being registered to MANISCALCHI. An officer caught up to the vehicle on Interstate 91 southbound and stopped the vehicle.

Officers spoke with MANISCALCHI as part of their investigation and, following that conversation, placed him under arrest.

He was arraigned yesterday and released on a $5,000 unsecured bond and conditions.

These are allegations. All suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty.


arrested angler over fishing dispute on tangled lines