Want to catch more fish during the post-spawn period? Bassmaster Elite Series Pro Seth Feider delivers the secrets to generating more bass bites during the post-spawn with a simple Texas rig around overhead cover.
FEATURED TACKLE (retail links)
- PLASTIC – Z-Man Turbo CrawZ, Green Pumpkin: Buy at Omnia
- HOOK – VMC RedLine Series Flippin’ Hook, 4/0: Buy at Omnia
- WEIGHT – VMC Tungsten Flipping Weight, 3/8-ounce: Buy at Omnia
- ROD – Daiwa Casting Rod, 7’2″ Medium-Heavy: Buy at Omnia
- REEL – Daiwa Zillion SV TW Casting Reel, 7.1:1: Buy at Omnia
- LINE (braided mainline) – Sufix 131 Braid, 40-pound: Buy at Omnia
- LINE (fluorocarbon leader) – Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 20-pound: Buy at Omnia
*additional links at bottom*
The most important part of success on the water, especially in the spring, is determining which stage of the spawn the bass are in. Based on water temperature and other visuals, Feider concludes that the fish on this particular lake are transitioning from the spawn to post-spawn, with bass still in both stages.
For post-spawn bass, Feider prefers to use a compact craw-style soft plastic Texas-rigged. The reason for using a Texas rig instead of a jig is because of its smaller profile. Feider states that fish just coming off of beds don’t often want to eat. A more compact profile can entice fish into biting that may not want a big meal. Feider likes a bit of action in his soft plastics. A little heavier than normal weight paired with a more aggressive craw like the Z-Man Turbo CrawZ can get the fish’s attention, a key factor when dealing with dirty water like in this lake.
Feider targets a little different cover during the post-spawn period with his Texas rig. Once fish pull off beds, they immediately head for cover to recoup. Lily pads, docks, or in this case, overhanging trees and bushes provide the necessary shade for these burnt-out bass. By focusing on pockets and inside turns instead of your typical shoreline points, you will run into more bass during this tricky time of year.
CLOTHING (retail links)
- SHIRT – Simms Intruder Fishing Hoody: Buy at Simms Fishing
- PANTS – Simms Superlight Pants: Buy at Omnia
- GLOVES – Simms SolarFlex SunGloves: Buy at Omnia
- Check out more Simms Fishing gear