Professional bass angler Randall Tharp views his stock of shallow running crankbaits among the best tools to quickly cover water and trigger bass into biting. The key to fishing these baits effectively is to make contact with all available cover; grinding rocks, deflecting off wood and manmade cover, and snaking through grass while implementing speed changes are all key to getting bit. Balsa crankbaits like Rapala’s BX Brat provide additional buoyancy for snag resistance and move in a natural and variable hunting motion on the retrieve. Pay attention to what the bass are feeding on and select a color that fits the situation – shallow crankbaits can resemble shad, bluegill and crawfish when chosen accordingly.
Check out Walker’s Rapala BX Brat Review for more specifics on this lure.
- Rapala BX Brat Squarebill Crankbait
- Ark Crankbait Rod 7’4″ Med Hvy
- Team Lew’s Custom Pro Speed Spool SLP Casting Reel
- Sufix Invisiline Castable Fluorocarbon, 12lb
- Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link Trolling Motor
- Costa Del Mar Corbina Sunglasses
- Phoenix 921 ProXP
- Yamaha V6 V MAX SHO® Series
- Power-Pole Blade Shallow Water Anchor CM2
- Lowrance HDS 12 Carbon Fishfinder/Chartplotter