Pro bass angler Carl Jocumsen has boxes of every conceivable topwater lure but has recently switched to using topwater poppers almost exclusively. He explains how poppers are more versatile than walking baits and how to match them to the preferred forage.
- POPPER – Storm Arashi Cover Pop, colors – 1) Green Gill 2) Ghost Chartreuse Shad 3) Bluegill
- ROD (open water) – Millerods 7’10” Med Hvy FrogFreaK
- ROD (close quarters) – Millerods 7’3″ Heavy SwitchFreak
- REEL – Shimano Curado DC, 8.5:1
- LINE – Power Pro Super8Slick, Moss Green 30- to 50-pound
Jocumsen shares his top 3 colors, which cover down on shad, bluegill, insects, and a general-purpose all-arounder. What fishing knots you use as well as rod setup, impacts success. Jocumsen explains why a loop knot is a must, plus his preferred line and rods for long-distance open water and close-quarters fishing.