The Ned rig has risen to the top of finesse fishing all-time greats for its nationwide bass-catching ability (simplicity and affordability are pluses!). Just ask Major League Fishing competitor and Bassmaster Classic Champion Ott DeFoe (on YouTube). He instructs how to fish the Ned rig, starting with a standard cast and retrieve, then his go-to rigging (jig and plastic) and rod setup.
KEY TACKLE & GEAR
- JIG – VMC Ned Rig Jig
- PLASTIC – Bass Pro Shops 4-1/4” Stik-O Worm, color – Green Pumpkin
- OTHER Ned-specific Jig and Plastic Options at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – Bass Pros Shops Johnny Morris Platinum Signature Spinning Rod – JMP71MHSF
- REEL – Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris Platinum Signature Spinning Reel – JPT2000
- LINE (braided mainline) – Bass Pro Shops Excel Braid Fishing Line, 10-pound
- LINE (fluorocarbon leader) – Bass Pro Shops XPS KVD Signature Series 100% Fluorocarbon Fishing Line, 8-pound
- PLIERS – Rapala Elite Pliers, 7-inch
And while the Ned rig is simplicity defined, paying attention to the details increases success. DeFoe discusses the importance of choosing the correct jig head, emphasizing matching weight and shape to the conditions. And while simple in profile, stickbaits should be sized-matched to the situation to the simple snip of pliers.
This legendary garage lure designer would rather have a crankbait in hand but always has a Ned rig at the ready with money on the line. Check out our Ned Rig Channel for more informative content.
- FISH FINDER – Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
- 360 SONAR – Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex
- MAPPING – LakeMaster Southeast States PLUS V3
- SUNGLASSES – Costa Del Mar Fathom