A simple selection of baits is all you need to catch crappies through the ice under wide-ranging conditions. Wired2fish’s Kobie Koenig shares his top 4 go-to bait favorite baits for ice fishing crappies, along with companion underwater video.
- Tungsten Jig – VMC Tungsten Wax Tail Jig, 1/16 ounce
- Jigging Spoon – Clam Blade Spoon, 1/8-ounce
- Rattling Bait – 13 Fishing Micro Magic Man
- Jigging Rap – Rapala Jigging Rap, W2
- Tungsten ice jig with finesse plastic. On the finesse side, 1/16- or 1/32-ounce horizontal tungsten ice jigs paired with subtle straight-tailed plastics generate bites through the gamut of fish moods from aggressive to highly tentative. Koenig favors plastics that deliver gentle movements even when at rest.
- Spoons. Small spoons tipped with plastics or live bait get down to the fish quickly and help target larger and more aggressive crappies from the school. While a naked spoon works, additional attraction in the form of wax worms, euro larvae, or plastics increases your catch rate with spoons with fish usually nipping the baited treble hook.
- Lipless crankbaits. Like their open water cousins, small lipless crankbaits deliver a bigger profile coupled with more aggressive action and sound. Sound and water displacement is a key attribute, often drawing fish from a distance to your hole.
- Gliding jigs. Small #2 and #3 Jigging Raps dart and glide to the sides when jigged aggressively but can also be fished relatively motionless. The minnow profile consistently delivers bites in either case, especially with a live bait-tipped belly treble hook. The Jigging Rap also excels at getting down to the fish with lightning speed, a huge plus when crappie schools are on the move.
- ICE AUGER – StrikeMaster Lithium 24v Lite-Flite Lazer Ice Auger
- ICE BIBS – StrikeMaster Surface Bibs
- TACKLE BOX – Rapala Jig Box