A hollow body frog remains an overlooked lure during the bass spawn, but as Jared McMillan demonstrates, it’s a bait you shouldn’t ignore when bass are on or near the beds. In particular, hollow body popping frogs emit a sound similar to that of feeding bluegill, a perennial nemesis of fry-guarding bass — a sound they’re just programmed to exterminate.
- FROG – Strike King KVD Popping Perch
- ROD – Lew’s Custom Speed Stick Casting Rod, 7’2″ Heavy
- REEL – Lew’s Hyper Mag Speed Spool SLP Casting Reel, 7.5:1
- LINE – Strike King Tour Grade Braid, 50-pound
McMillian explains how to fish popping frogs during the spawn, emphasizing where to use them, his top retrieves to coax bites, and preferred rod setup for the conditions. If bass deny all of his retrieves, McMillian changes baits. But, there’s seldom a need for a lure swap.
- SUNGLASSES – Costa Del Mar Brine Sunglasses