Have you ever struggled to find bass scattered across large flats? It’s a common challenge and one best solved by focusing efforts on any available cover. Wired2Fish recently shared the boat with Florida native and Lake Okeechobee hammer Jessie Mizell for a tutorial on how to find shallow prespawn bass and how to catch them using a Texas-rigged soft plastic stickbait.
- 13 Fishing Joy Stick
- VMC Heavy Duty Wide Gap Hook, 4/0
- VMC Worm Weight, 1/8th-ounce
- 13 Fishing Muse Black Casting Rod, 7’5″ Med Hvy
- 13 Fishing Concept “A” Casting Reel, 8.1:1
- VMC Sinker Stop
- Fitzgerald Vursa 100% Fluorocarbon, 20lb
Rather than searching out the most expansive grass flats in the lake, Jesse targets isolated clumps of grass in areas of lower overall grass density. It’s a smart strategy in weedy lakes and a classic case of bass relating to available, cover so it’s high-percentage flipping and pitching.