Wired2fish caught up with Florida bass fishing hammer Jared McMillan for a detailed lesson in fishing swim jigs for spring bass (spawning to be specific). McMillian explains when swim jigs shine over other baits, where to fish them, lure selection pointers (size/color), and his go-to retrieve to get the most bites.
- JIG – Strike King Hack Attack Heavy Cover Swim Jig, Black/Blue, 1/2-ounce
- TRAILER – Strike King Rage Twin Tail Menace Grub, Black
- REEL – Team Lew’s Pro-Ti SLP Speed Spool Casting Reel
- ROD – Lew’s Custom Speed Stick Casting Rod, 7’4″ Heavy
- LINE – Strike King Tour Grade Braid, 50-pound
For McMillian, a swim jig is an ideal tool for covering lots of water in search of the “key 3”: the right water color, bottom composition, and grass. He also feels swim jigs flat out generate bites when you finally get around fish while also providing the ability to pivot from power fishing to working the bait slowly through productive areas without re-rigging.
Check out our Best Swim Jigs article for more suggestions!