Out of all the spring bass tactics, casting a Damiki rig isn’t the first to pop into the minds of most bass anglers. Kevin VanDam (KVD) changes that in this innovative prespawn video by combining the power of forward-facing sonar with the erratic minnow-imitating action of a Damiki rig.
KVD locates staging prespawn bass pushing bait up to the surface in creek arms. Rather than blind casting, he makes precise casts to individual fish and triggers them into biting with a shad-imitating Damiki rig. MEGA Live reveals the precise distance and direction of the fish in real-time, allowing him to put the bait on their nose and make presentation adjustments based on their response.
- SOFT JERKBAIT – Strike King 3X Baby Z-Too Soft Jerkbait, color – Blue Glimmer Pearl Belly
- JIG HEAD – Damiki Rig Jig Heads, 1/4-ounce, color – White
The Damiki rig is easy to see and track on live sonar and darts and dances like a jerkbait with the pop of a rod — a proven fish-triggering action in the spring. For KVD, combing MEGA Live with MEGA 360 Imaging is the ultimate in situational awareness. He uses 360 Imaging to locate key structure and cover, then scans with MEGA Live to find fish.
Lastly, he details his jig, plastic, and full rod setup for Damiki rigging. Simply adjust your head and line size based on the depth of water you’re fishing.
- LIVE SONAR – Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
- 360 SONAR – Humminbird MEGA 360
- BOW GRAPHS – Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex
- MAPPING – Humminbird LakeMaster PLUS, Great Plains V1
- Hydrowave H2 Kevin VanDam Electronic Feeding Stimulator
- SIDE GRAPH MOUNT – T-H Marine KVD Kong Electronics Mount
- CENTER GRAPH MOUNT – T-H Marine Kong Wave Tamer
- ROD – Lew’s KVD IM8 Spinning Rod, 7’2″ Med Lt
- REEL – Lew’s TK200 Spinning Reel
- LINE (braided mainline) – Bass Pro Shops XPS Hyper Braid 8 Fishing Line, 8-pound yellow
- LINE (fluorocarbon leader) – Bass Pro Shops XPS KVD Signature Series 100% Fluorocarbon Fishing Line