Lack of mobility in ice fishing makes finding and staying on top of fish the biggest barrier to success (catching!). Full-time fishing guide Brad Hawthorne details how he locates nomadic gamefish on a typical ice fishing lake through the use of lake mapping to hone in on likely areas, MEGA 360 Imaging to find and stay on top of fish, and CHIRP sonar to catch them when you’ve landed on the school.
This commonsense step-by-step process is all about combining knowledge with the most sophisticated technologies available to find fish under a sheet of ice with greater speed and efficiency than ever before. The beauty is, the same principles can be applied using the same equipment in open water situations, delivering year-round success and value.
Check out Humminbird’s detailed MEGA 360 Imaging Blog if you’re interested in learning more about the technology and how to get configured.
GEAR LISTING (MEGA 360 Imaging Setup)
- Compatible HELIX (HELIX 8, 9, 10″ G3 w/ MEGA DI+ or SI+)
- MEGA 360 Imaging Transducer
- MEGA 360 Ice Adapter
- HELIX Ice Conversion Kit
- Heading Sensor + GPS Puck (Optional but Recommended)
- MEGA 360 / 2D Y-Cable (Optional)
- Humminbird ICE HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G3
- Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 (mounted to ATV for navigation)
- Humminbird LakeMaster Digital Map (Minnesota V9)
- StrikeMaster Lithium 24v Lite-Flite Lazer Ice Auger
- VMC Tungsten Tubby Jig
- Sufix Invisiine Ice Fluorocarbon, 3lb
- Shimano Sahara 500 Spinning Reel
- StrikeMaster Surface Bibs
- StrikeMaster Surface Jacket