Tune in for a catfish fishing expedition on the Red River with host Forrest Leitch. While there are numerous ways on how to catch catfish, Leitch catches Goldeye, and prepares them for cut bait. Leitch demonstrates how to chunk the Goldeye into bite-sized pieces, ensuring ideal hook exposure for catching channel catfish.
TACKLE USED (retail links)
- HOOK – Berkley Fusion19 Circle Hook: Buy at Amazon
- WEIGHT – No-Roll Sinker, 4-ounce: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- SWIVEL – VMC Rolling Swivel, Size #3: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- BEAD – Pucci Soft Egg Beads: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- LINE – Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament, 20-pound: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- LINE – Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament, 30-pound: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- ROD – Ugly Stik Catfish Special Casting Rod, 8′ Medium Heavy: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- REEL – Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Catfish Special Casting Reel: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
This video showcases fishing techniques above an emergent snag or brush pile on the river. While a depth finder aids in locating submerged snags, Leitch emphasizes that it is not a necessary tool, as this type of fishing can be done from canoes, kayaks, or the riverbank. Side imaging, although not essential, allows for identifying hidden snags underwater, which can point out spots other catfish anglers have missed.
Leitch shares insights on optimal bait placement duration, highlighting the catfish’s ability to detect fresh cut bait within minutes. Adaptability is critical in catfishing. Different spots yield varying results, and preferences change with the season. Leitch discusses the river’s physical structure, such as fallen trees, rock piles, and bends, which serve as hiding spots for catfish. Placing rods near the bank, structure, and in the main channel widens the fishing range when locating catfish.
Challenges like tangled lines and lost tackle are common in rivers with obstacles. Leitch advises carrying terminal tackle boxes with extra weights, swivels, hooks, and spare leader line to make additional rigs that can be quickly tied on if you break-off.
- FISH FINDER – Humminbird HELIX 7 SI+ GPS G4N: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- KNIFE – Ugly Stik Tapered Knife: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- PLIERS – Ugly Stik 9″ Pliers: Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- HITCH – B&W Tow & Stow Adjustable Ball Mount: Buy at Amazon