Wired2fish’s Kyle Peterson shares his system for finding and catching bass in open water using a variety of baits. As Peterson notes, bass commonly suspend in open water to feed on roaming schools of baitfish. Consistently finding and catching these fish was nearly impossible before the advent of forward-facing sonar. But it’s not only doable but often the best program going.
TACKLE AND GEAR USED (retail links)
- LURE – Duo Realis Spinbait Spybait Series: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – St. Croix Mojo Bass Trigon Spinning Rod, 7’2″ Medium: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- REEL – Daiwa Tatula LT: Check out at Daiwa
- LINE – Seaguar Smackdown Braided Line Flash Green, 15-pound: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SUN SHIRT – AFTCO Samurai Sun Protection Hoodie Shirt: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- CHECK OUT FISHING SHIRTS AT AFTCO
Peterson highlights the importance of using the right equipment to locate and catch these nomads. Relying heavily on forward-facing sonar technology, he demonstrates its effectiveness in identifying fish distance and direction and their interaction with baitfish. Notably, he favors baits that cast far and mimic minnows.
PETERSON’S FAVORITE OPEN WATER BAITS
- GLIDING JIG – Jigging Rap Magnum: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- TOPWATER POPPER – Team Ark Z-Pop Topwater Popper: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- MINNOW-IMITATING PLASTIC & JIG
- SPYBAITS – Check out at Tackle Warehouse
Peterson shares many of his favorite baits tailored for varying weather and fish moods. Whether it’s fast-sinking swimming jigs for deep water applications, ultra-realistic spybaits, minnow-imitating plastics, or the draw of jerkbaits and topwaters, his roster of lures and lure categories has you covered. He recommends having baits that allow you to fish the surface, upper water column, and deeper fish.
While Peterson admits the challenges of open-water fishing, its opportunities are unmatched. They’re usually on a feeding mission and less pressured than bank or structure-oriented fish. Observing the fish’s behavior, understanding their feeding windows, and using the correct bait can spell success.
- BOAT – Lund 1875 Pro-V Bass XS Bass Boat: Check out at Lund Boats
- MOTOR – Mercury Pro XS Outboard, 200hp: Check out at Mercury Marine
- SHALLOW WATER ANCHOR – Power-Pole Blade 2.0 Shallow Water Anchor: Buy at Bass pro Shops
- TROLLING MOTOR – Garmin Force Trolling Motor: Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- FISH FINDER – Garmin ECHOMAP™ Ultra 126sv: Buy at Tackle Warehouse, Buy at Bass Pro Shops
- FORWARD-FACING SONAR – Panoptix LiveScope™ Plus System w/ GLS10 & LVS34 Transducer: Buy at Tackle Warehouse, Buy at Bass Pro Shops