McKeon "Keys" Roberts slips out in his kayak for an afternoon targeting prespawn smallmouth bass on jerkbaits. Although this was filmed on a boat-ridden public lake, a kayak provides the values of exercise and stealth over conventional boats. McKeon's approach to boat control when targeting pressured fish is to pedal to the tip of windblown points and let the breeze carry the kayak across rocky prespawn staging flats. Subtle ruder adjustments allow him to stay silent while keeping the kayak in the right depth zone when drifting along these flats.
Packing simple and light can be a joy in kayak fishing. For this outing, Keys brings along 3 proven jerkbaits and a single shorter rod for fishing them efficiently. This reduces slapping the rod tip against the water on the retrieve and makes controlling fish at the side of the yak more manageable. *Our apologies for the audio technical issues.
- Old Town Predator PDL Kayak (Old Town Website)
- Old Town Predator PDL Kayak @ Austin Kayak
- Rapala Shadow Rap Jerkbait
- 13 fishing Muse Black 6'7" Medium Action Casting Rod
- 13 fishing Concept "C" Casting Reel
- Sufix Invisiline Castable Fluorocarbon, 12lb
- Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP GPS G3N Fish Finder
- Costa Del Mar Jose 580G Sunglasses
- RAM Transducer Arm Mount
- RAM Mount for Humminbird HELIX 7
- RAM Ball Mount 1-inch Diamond Base (X2)
- YakAttack 12-inch Gear Track
- Battery Terminal Connector