It remains a widely held misconception that you need live bait dangling from a hook to catch walleyes. To the contrary, these toothy predatory fish that can be triggered into biting properly presented artificial lures with results often outpacing live bait.
Wired2Fish’s Mitch Anderson demonstrates the effectiveness of lipless crankbaits for early ice walleyes. Baits like the Rapala Rippin Rap and Ultra Light Crankbait combine a good-sized baitfish profile with sound and vibration. This is an asset when trying to draw fish to your location, which is the goal in ice fishing where angler mobility is limited.
Mitch gives some insight on staying on top of active fish through the use of an ATV and sonar/GPS combo. Most importantly, Mitch shares how to use your fishfinder to “read” the demeanor of the fish and ultimately trigger walleye into biting.
- Rapala Rippin’ Rap
- Rapala Ultra Light Rippin’ Rap
- Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
- Humminbird ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2
- 13 Fishing Tickle Stick 27″ Medium Light Ice Rod
- 13 Fishing Black Betty Free Fall Ghost Inline Reel
- 6-pound Sufix Invisiline Fluorocarbon
- StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Electric Ice Auger
- VMC Duolock Snap
- Striker Ice Predator Jacket
- Striker Ice Predator Bib