As summer closes out, the shallow bite returns in many parts of the country. In this video, Wired2fish’s Kobie Koenig shows that covering water with a ‘cast and wind’ topwater lure is arguably the most efficient way to land on largemouth bass spread out across miles of emergent vegetation this time of year.
FEATURED TACKLE (retail links)
- Frog – Z-Man Goat ToadZ
- Hook – Mustad Weighted KVD Grip-Pin Hook, 3/0, 1/8-ounce
- Rod – ARK Fishing Randall Tharp Honey Badger Series Casting Rod, 7’6″ Heavy King Cobra
- Reel – Lew’s HyperMag Speed Spool SLP Casting Reel, 8.3:1
- Line – Seaguar Smackdown Braided Line, 50-pound
Due to a mixture of pressure and bait movement, a large population of bass move back to shallow water in preparation for fall. Although fairly susceptible to biting, these late summer bass can sometimes be hard to come in contact with. Koenig explains that putting the trolling motor on high and finding certain detailed areas can be extremely productive during a time of year where most people are sitting offshore.
BOAT & OTHER GEAR
- BOAT – Lund Boats 2075 Pro-V Bass
- MOTOR – Mercury 250 hp Pro XS
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex, 52″, 112-pound
- SHALLOW WATER ANCHORS – Minn Kota Talon, 10′
- SUNGLASSES – Costa Del Mar Rinconcito