Pro bass angler Brett Chapman takes us on a fall bass fishing outing, revealing the effectiveness of using finesse moving baits to locate and trigger pressured fish. Small shad are often the most prevalent baitfish this time of the year, so Chapman seeks to match the hatch with similarly-sized lures. He discusses the nuance of efficient target casting with small crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits around docks and other shoreline cover.
FEATURED PRODUCT (retail links)
- TREBLE HOOKS (replacement) – TroKar 3X Strong Wide Gap Treble Hook, size 6 [Buy at Tackle Warehouse]
- ROD – KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series Fishing Rod, 7’0″ Moderate-Medium-Crankbait [Buy at KastKing]
- REEL – KastKing MG 12 Elite Casting Reel, 7.5:1: [Buy at Tackle Warehouse, Buy at KastKing]
- LINE – Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon Line, 12-pound: [Buy at Tackle Warehouse]
- SPINNERBAIT – Strike King Burner Spinnerbait (1/4-ounce), color – Smokey Shad / DBL Wil Gld/Slv: [Buy at Tackle Warehouse]
- SPINNERBAIT TRAILER HOOK [Buy at Tackle Warehouse]
- BUZZBAITS – Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – KastKing Speed Demon Pro Tournament Series Fishing Rod, 7’3″ Moderate Fast-Medium-Bladed Jig [Buy at KastKing]
- REEL – KastKing MG 12 Elite Casting Reel, 7.5:1 [Buy at Tackle Warehouse, Buy at KastKing.com]
- LINE – KastKing KastPro 13X Finesse Braided Line Chartreuse, 30-pound [Buy at Tackle Warehouse]
Chapman explains its fish-triggering ability of buzzbaits during the fall. Downsizing is the name of the game, and buzzbaits excel, particularly around docks and in falling water levels. As Chapman continues breaking down docks, he reaches for small crankbaits to locate bass at different depths. A crankbait is one of his best lures for finding productive stretches. He uses them to develop a milk run that he’ll return to with other lures later in the day.
Similarly, small spinnerbaits offer the appeal and depth versatility of both a topwater and subsurface lure. Chapman stresses the importance of using a trailer hook to increase hooking percentages, especially when targeting pressured fall bass.
Small baits fish best using casting rod setups optimized for light lures and lines. Chapman details his go-to casting reel and rod setup for making accurate casts in and around shoreline cover such as docks and laydowns. Apply these techniques to score solid catches this fall on a lake or river near you!