Today’s hardcore bass anglers hit the water with an arsenal of proven finesse tactics like Neko rigging, the drop shot, wacky worming and the shaky jighead to name a few. All perform excellently but so does the often overlooked finesse Texas rig.
- Strike King KVD Perfect Plastic KVD Finesse Worm
- Lew’s Custom Pro Speed Spin Spinning Reel, TLC3000
- Team Lew’s Pro Speed Stick LFS-X5 Spinning Rod, 7’6″ MH
- Strike King Tour Grade Tungsten Weights, 1/8-ounce
- Mustad KVD Grip-Pin Soft Plastic Hook, 4/0
California bass pro Billy Hines loves “counting rocks” with a light Texas rig. He fishes a finesse floating worm with a light, unpegged bullet weight and spinning tackle. Hines uses a slow and methodical retrieve to work the worm in and out of crevices in the rocks.
Downsize and slowdown with a finesse Texas rig the next time the “big stuff” falls short. It’s always capable of putting 2- to 10-pounders in the boat.