Kevin VanDam takes us through his drop shot system for quickly locating northern states smallmouth bass on extensive flats using a heavy drop shot rig with soft jerkbaits.
FEATURED PRODUCT (full product listing below):
- Strike King 3X ElazTech Baby Z-Too Soft Jerkbait
- Mustad Grip-Pin Edge Finesse Hook, size 1/0
- Strike King Tour Grade Tungsten Dropshot Weight, 1/2-ounce
- Team Lew’s Pro Speed Stick LFS-X5 Spinning Rod, 7’6″ Medium
- Lew’s Custom Pro Speed Spin Spinning Reel, size 3000
- Bass Pro Shops XPS Hyper Braid 8 Fishing Line, 10lb
- Bass Pro Shops XPS KVD Signature Series 100% Fluorocarbon, 8lb
KVD notes that one of the biggest misconceptions about northern states smallmouth is that they always relate to specific spots when in fact, they often roam expansive flats in search of baitfish. Power drop-shotting soft jerkbaits with 1/2- to 3/4-ounce weights allows for long casts and fast drops to potential spots.
VanDam details his tackle set up with a strong emphasis on using the right hook, plastic, line, and rod/reel combo for positive hooksets and boating big bronzebacks. Electronics also play a key roll in locating key structure, cover, baitfish and smallmouth. Remnants of the logging era, sunken trees are a unique cover element to many lakes in this part of the world. Side imaging and 360 Imaging identify these spots and allow for precise casts.
ELECTRONICS & BOAT CONTROL:
- Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N
- Humminbird LakeMaster PLUS Great Lakes Edition, Version 2
- Minn Kota Ultrex Trolling Motor
- Humminbird 360 Imaging
- Minn Kota Talon Shallow Water Anchors, 8 ft
- Mercury Pro XS® 250hp
- NITRO® Z21 Bass Boat