Join Wired2fish’s McKeon Roberts as he explores fluke fishing bass in ultra-shallow water. Roberts dives deep into the art of shallow-water bass fishing using a high-vis, Texas-rigged weightless fluke. This subtle presentation excels for spooky bass in heavy cover.
FEATURED PRODUCT (retail links)
- SOFT PLASTIC – Xcite Baits X-Shad, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- HOOK – VMC RedLine Series Hybrid Wide Gap Hook, 4/0: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – 13 Fishing Envy Black 3 Casting Rod, 7’3″ Medium Heavy: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- REEL – 13 Fishing Concept Z-Slide, 8.3:1: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LINE – Sufix 131 Braid, 40-pound: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LEADER LINE – Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- PLIERS – Rapala Stainless Steel Fisherman’s Pliers: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SHIRT – Mercury Camo Print Long Sleeve: https://rb.gy/cer7r
Selecting the Right Bait
Roberts begins by revealing the advantages of a weightless plastic bait in shallow waters. Such a bait presents a low disturbance alternative to a jig, spinnerbait, or other moving baits prone to splashing. Specifically, a fluke’s ability to linger in one spot and deliver tantalizing action with minimal input makes it an ideal choice for tempting tentative fish.
Making Long Casts
The ability to cast weightless plastics is entirely doable with the right rod, reel, and line setup. Roberts opts for a super-supple braided mainline on a responsive casting rod to launch these baits. He emphasizes the importance of long casts in shallow waters to avoid startling fish and the necessity of careful, slow movements.
Optimizing Your Fluke Fishing Setup
The video continues with advice on setup considerations for fluke fishing. A lighter rod and bait combination can help prevent overworking the bait and improve casting accuracy. Roberts uses a 40-pound Sufix 131 braid to achieve the casting distance required in shallow waters, paired with a 14 or 17-pound fluorocarbon leader to maintain fluke action.
Hookset Timing and Targeting Active Areas
The video culminates with Roberts giving insights into the challenge of hookset timing in shallow waters, highlighting the benefits of a visible fluke in determining when a fish takes the bait. He also underscores the thrill of targeting areas with significant fish activity, illustrating the intense competition in such locations.
BOAT MOTOR AND ELECTRONICS
- BOAT – Lund Boats 1650 Rebel XL, Check out at Lund Boats
- OUTBOARD – Mercury FourStroke 60hp, Check out at Mercury Marine
- FISH FINDER (console) – Humminbird HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- FISH FINDER (bow) Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot Link and MEGA Side Imaging: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- SHALLOW WATER ANCHOR – Minn Kota Talon Shallow Water Anchor, 10′: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- TROLLING MOTOR (transom) – Minn Kota Traxxis Trolling Motor: Buy at Amazon