Some of the best panfishing of the year occurs during the fall months when bluegills vacate the shallows and school up on outer grasslines adjacent to basin areas. Wired2fish staffer McKeon “Keys” Roberts takes advantage of this bite out of his fishing kayak during a pleasant fall day – as you can see, the fish are super-charged. *See product listing at the bottom.
Keys explains how to find bluegill using his electronics, then work the school over with finesse tungsten jigs tipped with realistic plastics. Fall outings like this also serve as valuable ice fishing reconnaissance. As Roberts notes, waypoint productive spots then transfer this information to your ice unit to land precisely on “last known” schools of gills. If the lake isn’t mapped, consider taking the time to build a custom map as this can yield valuable on-ice insight.
- Old Town 2020 Predator PDL Kayak
- Full Specs on Predator PDL
- Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G3
- 13 Fishing Defy Silver Spinning Rod
- 13 Fishing Source K Spinning Reel
- 13 Fishing Superior Plastics Coconut Crab
- 13 Fishing The Doug Superior Tungsten Jigs
- Sufix 832 Braid, 4lb
- Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 4lb
- Rapala Curved Fisherman’s Pliers