A skirted bass jig paired with a craw trailer isn’t the first lure that comes into mind when targeting suspended bass but is precisely what Ott DeFoe uses to catch a bunch of fish in this action-packed video. He demonstrates how to use jigs with forward-facing sonar (Humminbird MEGA Live) to locate and make accurate casts to bass roaming off the bank in open water.
- JIG – Terminator Pro Series Jig, 3/8-ounce Green Pumpkin
- TRAILER – Bass Pro Shops Elite Chunk, Green Pumpkin
- ROD – Bass Pro Shops Johhny Morris Platinum Signature Casting Rod, 7’4″ MH
- REEL – Bass Pro Shops Johhny Morris Platinum Signature Casting Reel, 8.3:1
- LINE (main) – Bass Pro Shops XPS Hyperbraid 8, 50-pound
- LINE (leader) – Bass Pro Shops XPS KVD Signature Series 100% Fluorocarbon, 17-pound
DeFoe unearthed this technique when beating down the bank and scanning his MEGA Live transducer toward open water. With his confidence jig in hand, a few casts revealed these bass were eager to chase and eat a conventional bass jig away from cover. A practical takeaway is that bass aren’t conditioned to seeing jigs in open water, which makes this a new and viable application for jigs.
FISH FINDERS and BOAT CONTROL
- LIVE SONAR – Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
- BOW GRAPHS – Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
- 360 SONAR – Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex