A ChatterBait is an efficient lure for quickly covering water when searching for bass scattered across expansive grass flats. Bass pro Jeff “Gussy” Gustafson shares some tips on how to dissect seemingly featureless grass flats.
- Z-Man Evergreen Jack Hammer 1/2-ounce ChatterBait
- Z-Man RaZor ShadZ Swimbait
- Shimano 7.1:1 Metanium Casting Reel
- Shimano GLoomis 7’6″H Conquest Cast Rod
- Seaguar InvisX 15-pound Fluorocarbon
Gussy emphasizes the importance of making contact with cover the duration of long casts. Doing so disrupts the bait’s consistent action and triggers reaction strikes. As a general rule of thumb, long casts and staying off the trolling motor reduces spooking shallow water bass — once you contact fish, drop your shallow water anchors and methodically fan cast the area. Where there’s one, there are usually more, especially during the spawning season.