We caught up with pro bass angler Rob Jordan for a lesson on sight fishing spring bass using Neko-rigged stickbaits. The period just around the spawn is marked by shallow bass engaged in a range of activities; some are chasing bluegills, others fry guarding on beds, and the majority of bass often just cruising around.
Jordan finds success by pitching around light Neko-rigged stickbaits. The presentation is natural and stealthy to avoid spooking and can be fished slowly on the bottom or suspended up in the water column. He shares his favorite Z-Man plastic and how to lock nail weights and hooks in place with ElaZtech (TPE) plastics. Try this straightforward system the next time you're faced with spawn and post-spawn conditions.
Check out our Neko Rig Tips Channel for more content on this highly effective finesse technique.
- PLASTIC - Z-Man Big TRD, color: Bubble Gut
- WEIGHT - Z-Man Neko ShroomZ, 1/10-ounce
- LINE (fluorocarbon) - Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon, 10lb
- BRAID (mainline) - Seaguar Smackdown Braided Line Flash Green, 20lb
- ROD - Daiwa Tatula Elite Spinning Rod 7' Med Lt Meyer
- REEL - Daiwa Tatula LT Spinning Reel, TALT3000D-CXH