In this insightful video, Wired2fish contributor and Canadian Shield connoisseur Scott Walsh delves into the art of fishing shallow crankbaits like a Wiggle Wart through shield rock. Walsh takes us through his preferred tools of the trade, why a crankbait is so effective, how to fish it clean, and the right setup for the job.
FEATURED TACKLE (retail links)
- CRANKBAIT – Storm Original Wiggle Wart: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- ROD – IMX Pro Cast Rod, 6’9″ Med 812 JBR: Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- REEL – Shimano Calcutta Conquest A Casting Reel, 7.4:1: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LINE – Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon Line, 12-pound: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- JERKBAIT – Rapala Shadow Rap Deep, Haymaker: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
Walsh emphasizes the importance of understanding the fish’s location before locking in one specific bait. Whether the fish are set up on the flats or near the break determines Walsh’s weapon of choice. A jerkbait is a great search tool to locate their position. When smallmouth are on top, Walsh recommends using a shallow crankbait, and he shares his confidence in the unique action.
Smaller profiled crankbaits such as a Storm Original Wiggle Wart are a proven plug style that has been catching bass for ages. Perfectly designed to imitate crayfish, a wart is seemingly destined for Canadian Shield waters.. Its side-to-side action, adaptability in various water temperatures, and ability to maneuver through slate rock make it a trusty companion for any angler.
Walsh explains how to develop the feel for the bait’s movement and offers tips on avoiding snags in the unforgiving nature of shield rock. Walsh’s knowledge extends to the correct rod and line choice for fishing Canadian Shield rock. Favoring a graphite rod for a combination of forgiveness and sensitivity, along with 12-pound test line is the way to go for this technique. Fishing shield rock can be frustrating and expensive, but with the correct tools, there’s plenty of fun to be had.
BOAT & ELECTRONICS
- FISH FINDER (bow) – Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- FISH FINDER (bow) – Humminbird SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G3: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- 360 SONAR – Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- LIVE SONAR – Humminbird MEGA Live: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- TROLLING MOTOR – Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb-36V Trolling Motor: Buy at Bass Pro Shops, Buy at Tackle Warehouse
- BASS BOAT – Skeeter FXR21: Check out at Skeeter Boats