Bass spend a good portion of the year targeting forage on the bottom which is why baits like jigs, drop shots, crankbaits and Carolina rigs are so effective (to name a few). Chris Zaldain takes the same approach with compact swimbaits like the Megabass Dark Sleeper - he explains how to fish this unique semi weedless swimbait over the bottom and through mixed cover areas to trigger bass by deflecting the bait off of structure and cover.
TACKLE & GEAR LIST:
- Megabass Dark Sleeper Swimbait, 1/2-ounce, color: Hanahaze
- Megabass Destroyer USA Casting Rod, 7'5" Javelin
- Shimano Curado 150 DC Casting Reel, 7.4:1
- Seaguar Tatsu Fluorocarbon Line, 15lb
- Humminbird SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS (console)
- Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link Trolling Motor, 36V 112 lbs 60''
- Megabass Throwback Trucker Hat
Key to the bait's effectiveness is its unique plastic molded construction, which encases a forward-positioned belly weight and a plastic dorsal fin that conceals a single hook from grass and wary bass. The bait's design allows anglers to fish the Dark Sleeper similar to a weedless jig through areas that would otherwise fowl an exposed single hook jig and swimbait combo. Zaldain shares his 2 top methods for retrieving the Dark Sleeper, stressing the importance of regular bottom contact throughout the retrieve.