Aaron Britt of Yuba City, California, weighed a five-bass limit totaling 22 pounds, 5 ounces Saturday to win the Rayovac FLW Series Western Division event presented by Evinrude on Clear Lake with a three-day total of 15 bass weighing 70 pounds even. For his victory, Britt earned $32,448.
“I fished a crankbait all week,” said Britt, who earned his first FLW win. “I practiced for four days prior to the tournament and found some fish shallow on a squarebill crankbait, but on the last day of practice I found some cranking fish deep.
“The first day of the tournament I went with my gut and cranked deep,” Britt continued. “I caught a big bag on day one and that made me stick with that pattern for the duration of the tournament. On day two I had some really big fish on that came off, but that just told me I needed to keep doing what I was doing.
“I had three spots that I just rotated through all day,” said Britt. “One of the spots was a rock ledge that runs along Highway 20, and the other two were very popular spots on the lake.”
Britt said that he threw Spro Little John DD, Bill Norman DD 22 and Damiki DC-400 crankbaits in 9 to 15 feet of water all week, starting the day with crawfish colors and changing to shad patterns as the sun rose higher.
“Generally the water temperature this time of year in Clear Lake is about 4 degrees lower than it is now,” Britt explained. “A lot of the fish are suspending and still out deep in their summer haunts and they haven’t moved shallow. That’s why stuck to my spots so much, because I knew the fish would move up and I wanted to be there when they did.
“This win is very emotional for me,” said Britt. “To be able to come out and compete with guys I grew up watching like Brett Hite, Ish Monroe and Jared Lintner is a great feeling. I put so much hard work and effort into this, and I’m very, very happy.”
The top 10 pros on Clear Lake were:
- Aaron Britt, Yuba City, Calif., 15 bass, 70-0, $32,448
- Patrick Spencer, Penn Valley, Calif., 15 bass, 67-3, $12,574
- Justin Kerr, Simi Valley, Calif., 15 bass, 66-3, $9,734
- Kyle Grover, Trabuco Canyon, Calif., 15 bass, 65-3, $8,112
- Mark Crutcher, Lakeport, Calif., 15 bass, 65-3, $7,301
- Dan Sweat, Pleasant Hill, Calif., 15 bass, 62-10, $6,490
- Jerred Jennings, Stockton, Calif., 13 bass, 56-0, $5,678
- Clayton Meyer, Henderson, Nev., 14 bass, 54-11, $4,867
- Paul Bailey, Kelseyville, Calif., 11 bass, 45-7, $4,056
- Toshitada Suzuki, Tokyo, Japan, 12 bass, 43-7, $3,245
Complete results can be found at FLWOutdoors.com.